Golf Cart DUI
Golf Cart DUI – A man has been charged with suspicion of driving under the influence while driving a golf cart! Here are the facts of the case:
- The accident happened at a Delaware campsite (Tuckahoe Acres Camping Resort in Dagsboro)
- The Pennsylvania man was driving a Golf Cart
- The passenger, a 47-year-old woman from Lebanon, was thrown from the cart on to a local roadway
- The passenger had serious injuries and was flown to Penninsula Regional Medical Center
- The driver was also taken to the hospital however he had minor injuries
California DUI Laws
Although this incident happened in Delaware, California has laws that parallel Delaware’s DUI laws.
- In California, a golf cart would be considered a vehicle:
- Vehicle Code Section 670 – A “vehicle” is a device by which any person or property may be propelled, moved, or drawn upon a highway, excepting a device moved exclusively by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.
- California’s Driving under the influence law is Vehicle Code Section 23512
- You cannot drive a vehicle if you are under the influence of alcohol, drugs or both
- You are presumed to be under the influence if your BAC is 0.08% or more
- It does not matter if you are on private property such as golf courses or retirement communities, you can still be charged with a DUI.
- Driving under the influence of Marijuana or any other drugs can impair you and thus get you a DUI.
- The cart can only carry two individuals. This includes the driver.
- The cart can carry golf equipment
- At minimum, it has to have three wheels which touch the ground
- The maximum speed of the golf cart is 15 miles per hour
- The golf cart can not weigh more than 1,300 pounds when it is empty and without passengers
If the golf cart is operated in designated areas and within one mile of a golf course registration is not needed. However, the golf cart cannot be operated on a road that has a speed limit of more than 25 miles per hour
In conclusion, YES you can be arrested for a DUI in California while driving a golf cart!